Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Health Check – Déjà vu all over again?

First off, I am writing this post as we cruise along the streets of Taipei in bus 285.  It took about 10 minute’s worth of ride for a seat to clear out, but I am still counting myself lucky in the ‘finding a seat when riding the bus lottery’.

Some of you may remember our experience with the mandatory Chinese Health Check when we moved to Shanghai in 2007.  Weird, interesting, funny and perplexing all at the same time.  You can check out my post on the experience here, and Steph’s here.

Evidently each year the Intel office in Taipei sponsors a mandatory health check.  I’ll be sure to post about it afterwards, as it’s sure to be an interesting (and evidently LONG) process.  But I couldn't help but share the ‘pre-work’ for the health check. 

First, I get the packet from the Intel lobby staff.  In the packet is a 14 page questionnaire that needs to be filled out – hard copy.  Um, last time I checked it’s the 21st century… this form could not be done on the web and then accessed when I am there for the appointment?  The answer is obviously ‘no’.  The form is pretty robust, asking about everything from diet to exercise, past or current medical conditions and personal habits – drinking, smoking, etc.  There was an entire section dedicated to the use of Betel Nuts (I’ll summarize in a later post for friends not familiar with the favorite treat of Taipei taxi drivers).

Also in the packet is a phone number to call and schedule the appointment.  I call, hoping upon hope that someone on the other end of the line speaks English.  This contest plays out to a draw.  No English, but also no person… a series of announcements – in Chinese, of course.  Now, I am lucky, as I have been provided with admin support from a wonderful woman who has been incredibly helpful and gets me an appointment the coming Monday at the same time as some other American expats so I can carpool and not have to use the taxi or sort out MRT.

So, the appointment is scheduled, my 14 page assessment is complete and I am reading through the remainder of the material… fast from midnight the night before, no problem.  Be on time, no problem. 

When I opened the package initially I noticed what I thought was a very small urine sample container.  I thought this a little weird – can’t they just collect that at the appointment?  Then I got to the section of the instructions that talk about this little tube.  Seems it’s not for a urine sample – it’s for a fecal sample.  WHAT?  Never before have my physicals/health checks required this.  And the 13 year old adolescent in me can’t help but giggle at the thought of 3 grown professional men in a van together on the way to the medical check on Monday morning with their fecal samples in hand.

Even better… the packet tells you to ‘follow the instructions’ included with the fecal sample collection mechanism and storage tube.  And… wait for it… yup, you’re probably already there… the instructions are all in Chinese. 

If you’re at all interested, check back for the compare contrast between this and the PRC experience.  I’m fascinated to see what I’m getting into on Monday given the pre-work...  And I promise, no more discussion of fecal samples!


Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. of course, they want to make sure you don't have worms...

    ReplyDelete