Sunday, August 11, 2013

The Google Gets It Wrong

One of the things that inspires confidence when you move to another country in the age of smartphone technology is the Google translate app.  I've been in cabs, restaurants and even lost in cities before and been able to go to The Google (via the Interwebs) and been able to The Google Map or The Google Translate myself where I need to be.

Today, we were in Carrefour shopping for groceries and need cotton balls.  We were wildly unsuccessful in finding them.  So we turned to The Google and into my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (is not to big a smartphone, by the way) I type cotton balls.  Attached to the post is a screen shot of what The Google returned.  I confidently walked up to a woman that worked in the section of the store where you would expect cotton balls and showed her the translation.

She shook her head yes and led us off to...  the food section?  Something was amiss.  She handed Steph a package of marshmallows.  Huh?  I handed G the phone to get her take on what the translation error might be.  In a voice that sounded like the teenage version of G, she said, 'Uh, Dad, that says Marshmallow'.

Having spent 20 minutes trying to find cotton balls, we gave up and claimed 'mostly victory' over our Sunday excursion to Carrefour.

No comments:

Post a Comment